In my experience of spending many days at the sit-in while it was in its initial stages, it gradually began to really sink into me - into my bones - that the Fords are evil.
They lie constantly, deliberately, about anything and everything; they deliberately seek to create hate, anger, chaos, division, discord, strife; they count straight-up criminals amongst their closest friends and associates; and... well, yeah, you know the list.
The point is - it's not just a list. It's not an abstract thing. If the bulk of the things that a person spends their time thinking, saying, and doing can be categorized as bad/wrong/amoral/immoral/unethical/vile... there comes a time when that person will have morphed into something that can really most accurately be described by one plain, simple word - "evil".
And that's where the Fords are at.
It's sort of shocking to experience it. To really feel it. Directly. To get past the media, the videos, the stories, endless articles, the second-hand accounts, the walls of lies, the distortions... and to just be there, at City Hall, in front of Rob Ford's office, and have a direct, unmediated experience of feeling that evil.
So... yeah. I'm starting this thread as a place to discuss evil. And how to confront it, counter it, and overcome it while remaining healthy, kind, compassionate, and loving. How to overcome it without being wrecked by it.
I'll start! - I've found the following things, new-agey sounding as they may be, to be really, really, really essential (for me!) -
- having a long shower immediately after getting home from the sit-in
- visualizing a protective barrier around myself & the sit-in while there
- taking my focus and attention completely off Ford & matters Ford-related for as much time every day as I can
- sharing experiences with other sit-in participants
- feeling everything and not attempting to suppress or deny any emotions that may arise, however intense or "negative" they may be
If you have any other tips/suggestions/ideas for how to stand (or sit!) against a deeply evil force while retaining your own goodness and kindness - please share here!